We live in a world of DIY tips and tricks for the most trivial to the most critical tasks. Some of these tips or DIY kits can actually save you a lot of trouble too. Imagine that you're stranded on a highway or a deserted road, and your vehicle's tyre is flat, refusing to go the rest of the way. What do you do in a situation like this?
Simple - tyre puncture repair kits to the rescue! So, go, rescue yourself. (But remember that these kits provide temporary support only. As soon as you come across a tyre shop nearby, head there to receive professional guidance.)
But till then, you are on your own. So how do you use a tyre puncture kit? Let’s find out. First, get familiar with what constitutes a puncture repair kit.
● A pair of pliers: Once you locate the puncture spot, you can remove the object which has pierced the tyre using the pliers.
● A spiral probe: This is used to clean and expand the damaged area so that tyre strips can be placed.
● Large needle with a handle: It is used to insert tyre repair strips.
● Rubber cement solution: This comes in a small tube which is used on the spiral probe for smooth penetration.
● Tyre repair cords: A set of spongy strips to apply to the spot of the leak.
● Blade/knife: To cut off the extra length of the strip.
No tyres are fail-safe. Even products from brands with the best car or bike tyres are susceptible to punctures. So, you should always keep a puncture repair kit handy as the first line of defence.
→ Now, in case you encounter a leak, pull over and park your vehicle on a flat surface.
→ Turn the ignition off and apply the parking brake before you proceed to fix the puncture. Try to repair the tyre while it is affixed to the vehicle.
→ Follow these steps while using a puncture repair kit:
If you follow these steps, you should be able to successfully repair your tyre puncture with the help of a repair kit. But don’t forget to find the first puncture shop nearby and get the tyre professionally examined after repairing the puncture. You can buy a puncture repair kit as well as browse the best tyres, online.
TL:DR: tyre puncture repair kits are undoubtedly helpful if you know what you're doing. The ultimate purpose of a puncture repair kit is to keep you going at least for some distance with a temporary fix. Use the buffer time to find a suitable service centre to get your tyre examined by a professional, so you can get it repaired perfectly and hit the road asap.